Windows 11 official presentation
Hello friends. On June 24, 2021, Microsoft held a presentation and officially presented to the world its new operating system – Windows 11. For a long time, the company managed to keep a secret that it was preparing a new version of Windows, and not a large-scale update of Windows 10, but it was not possible to keep the secret to the end. …
Some time before the presentation, a preliminary build of Windows 11 was leaked to the network, and many have already managed to get acquainted with the new system, albeit in its embryonic state. Who has not yet watched the review of the new Windows 11 on our website, see. Not all Windows 11 developments were included in the preliminary assembly, there are potentially more of them, which, in fact, can be judged by the presentation. At the presentation, Microsoft spoke about the concept of the new system and its significant capabilities. But, alas, friends, not everyone will get Windows 11, at least in accordance with existing Microsoft terms. Let’s take a closer look at the presentation and then talk about the nuances of installing a new system.
↑ Official presentation of Windows 11
↑ Old house after renovation
So, friends, the presentation of Windows 11. It took place on June 24, 2021, broadcast on the Microsoft website. Before the start of the presentation, the company did not say anything about the new system, only the teaser of the event subtly hinted at Windows 11: in it, the window casts a shadow in the form of the number 11. Do not leak the preliminary assembly of the new system, it would be very intriguing.
↑ Microsoft Accents
At the presentation of Windows 11, Microsoft put emphasis on a new system design, a new Start menu, new themes, new options, a new Microsoft Store, user productivity and focus, widget ribbon, touch capabilities, games. Microsoft presented the concept, design and accent chips of Windows 11 in a presentation video of the operating system on the Windows YouTube channel.She spoke extensively about the concept and design of Windows 11 on the Windows Insider Program YouTube channel.
And here are some of the capabilities of the new system, the company noted directly at the presentation:
- Windows 11 Start Menu – new, centered on the taskbar, optimized to find what we need more quickly;
- System interface design with the implementation of the Fluent Design blur effect, with rounded corners of the windows and new smooth animation;
- System search with Fluent Design and integration of recent files across all synced devices;
- Spectacular Windows 11 themes;
- Snap Layouts is an efficient split screen function with an optimal layout of application windows. Moreover, Microsoft has stated that Windows 11 is the best operating system for dealing with multiple windows today;
- Snap Group – collections of used applications, allow you to quickly return to what we did earlier. Windows 11 saves in the taskbar the groups of active windows placed on the screen, their layout and can restore all this. Along with the integration into the system search for recent files, it is a more efficient alternative to the deprecated Timeline function. The location of windows memorized by Windows 11 on other screens connected to the computer can be automatically restored when these screens are reconnected;
- Personalization of desktops, they can not only be renamed, as can be done in Windows 10, but different personalization settings can be applied to them;
- Get the best online experience with Microsoft Edge. The standard browser for Windows 11 is the actively developed cross-platform Microsoft Edge, it is available for any supported Windows, but still Microsoft decided to note the convenience of working with vertical tabs in this browser applicable to the new system;
- Integrated into Windows 11 Microsoft Teams. This is Microsoft’s application for corporate communications, and in the new system it will be delivered instead of Skype as a regular messenger for text, voice and video communication;
- Widgets, Microsoft paid a lot of attention to them. The widget panel is a sliding area on the left, like on many mobile devices, for placing personalized information blocks about the weather, exchange rates, news, etc. powered by Microsoft MSN news site. This is a converted News and Interests feed available for Windows 10. In Windows 11, it has become a sidebar that can be expanded to full screen if needed.
- Improved touch control: Windows 11 adapts to touch control, in tablet mode there is more space between elements, it is easier to pinch and stretch windows, increased touch areas and visual cues, and implemented tactile feedback when using the stylus. New touch gestures have been added, by the way, they are the same as on the touchpad, so that users on different devices do not get confused. Microsoft has put special emphasis on different types of input – the on-screen keyboard in a new design, the ability to work with a stylus and voice input. The latter is improved in Windows 11, it places punctuation marks itself, voice control commands are available. It is noteworthy that in the new system, voice input will be in Russian;
- New function of wireless output of media content to media devices such as Miracast or Google Cast;
- Games. The key features of Windows 11 in terms of games, Microsoft noted support for DirectX 12 Ultimate, Microsoft DirectStorage – a new technology that allows games to run faster on NVMe SSDs, Auto HDR – the implementation of HDR in games without the need for developers to adapt. Particular emphasis was placed on Xbox Game Pass, the subscription-based gaming service integrated into the Xbox Windows 11 app. Microsoft called Windows in principle the best gaming platform and noted two successive features of the new version of the system – the function of continuing games when switching from PC to Xbox and vice versa, as well as support for a huge number of gaming accessories. For more information on the gaming capabilities of Windows 11, visit the Xbox website.
- Changed Microsoft Store: the regular Windows 11 store received a new design, it will ship applications and UWP, and Win32, and even Android;
- In Windows 11, it will be possible to run Android applications without any emulators, but only those from the Amazon Appstore, its content is integrated into the Microsoft Store;
- New design of the system application “Parameters” and its new organization. More effective, more Fluent Design, more usability.
Microsoft subsequently published some features of the new system on its resources:
- To install and use the Home edition, you definitely need the Internet, this edition will only work in conjunction with a Microsoft account, a local account will not be available;
- Windows 11 will receive updates not every six months, like Windows 10, but only once a year.
At the presentation, Microsoft did not pay attention to the Explorer and the notification center, but in the presentation videos of Windows 11 you can see that they are not the same as in Windows 10, and have undergone changes. File Explorer was shown in UWP format, Action Center was reorganized.
↑ When will Windows 11 come out
At the presentation, Microsoft did not talk about the official release of the new operating system, but a section with information about Windows 11 appeared on its website, which says that the system will be released during this, 2021.
↑ Windows 11 Insider Program
Information about Windows 11 has also appeared on the Windows Insider Program website. Next week, the release of the first insider build of Windows 11 is promised. And you can already look at the official build of the system, perhaps there will be more new features than in the unofficial build. The terms of participation in the Windows 11 Insider Program are the same as for Windows 10. And the principle of delivery of Insider assemblies for Windows 11 is the same as for its predecessor:
- Dev Channel – development channel, the latest changes;
- Beta Channel – beta testing channel;
- Release Preview Channel – Preview channel.
But participation in the program has a nuance due to the system requirements for computers on which you can install Windows 11. And about this, friends, let’s take a closer look.
↑ Windows 11 system requirements
Due to the leaked pre-build of Windows 11, Microsoft failed to shock the world with a new operating system, but the company managed to make it system requirements. Windows 11 will be the first operating system with fundamentally revised baseline system requirements. And despite the fact that the system is lighter and more efficient than Windows 10, the approach to the characteristics of computer devices is more severe. Starting with Windows 11 Microsoft will stop releasing 32-bit versions, the system will henceforth only be 64-bit. In general, its minimum system requirements are as follows:
- Dual-core processor with a frequency of at least 1 GHz, 64-bit compatible or SoC;
- 4 GB of RAM;
- 64 GB of hard disk space;
- 9-inch screen at least 720p;
- Graphics compatible with DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0 driver;
- Active computer mode UEFI and enabled Secure Boot;
- TPM version 2.0 is available.
For other capabilities of the operating system, there may be other requirements, all details can be found here.
If these were the baseline specs for device makers with Windows 11 preinstalled, Microsoft could shake hands with its active participation in cutting off the supply of weak hardware that is worthless to the market. But these characteristics apply to everyone. And this means that if your computer does not meet this requirement, at least you will not officially install Windows 11. But, friends … you will be among the majority of people on the planet who will not be able to do this.… So, if Microsoft does not change the system requirements, Windows 11 will not be available for older computers without UEFI and Secure Boot support. The new system, at least officially, will not be received by the owners of computers with old processors. The list of compatible Intel processors includes only Core, Pentium, Celeron, Xeon starting from the 8th and Atom starting from the 6th generation. AMD’s list of compatible processors includes some premium Athlon, EPYC, Ryzen 3rd gen and some 2nd gen. The new system may not be received by those who have old video cards without DirectX 12 support. Fortunately, the situation with video cards on the market is now slowly improving, until recently it was a very inappropriate time to change a video card. But the most trash of Microsoft’s requirements is TPM 2.0. This is a cryptography chip, storing crypto keys and responsible for computer security. Integrated into laptops, all-in-ones and other OEM-devices with pre-installed Windows 10, supplied starting in 2016. PC motherboards usually do not come with a TPM module, only provide a connector for it, the chip itself must be purchased separately. But friends, TPM can be implemented in software, modern processors can emulate the operation of hardware TPM chips, and this technology just needs to be enabled in the BIOS. The option to enable a hardware or emulated security module is usually found in advanced settings or security settings, it can be called TPM, Trusted Platform Module, TPM Device, Security Chip, fTPM, PTT, etc. PC motherboards are usually not equipped with a TPM module, they only provide a connector for it, the chip itself must be purchased separately. But friends, TPM can be implemented in software, modern processors can emulate the operation of hardware TPM chips, and this technology just needs to be enabled in the BIOS. The option to enable a hardware or emulated security module is usually found in advanced settings or security settings, it can be called TPM, Trusted Platform Module, TPM Device, Security Chip, fTPM, PTT, etc. PC motherboards are usually not equipped with a TPM module, they only provide a connector for it, the chip itself must be purchased separately. But friends, TPM can be implemented in software, modern processors can emulate the operation of hardware TPM chips, and this technology just needs to be enabled in the BIOS. The option to enable a hardware or emulated security module is usually found in advanced settings or security settings, it can be called TPM, Trusted Platform Module, TPM Device, Security Chip, fTPM, PTT, etc.
Here, guys, this is how Windows 11 is secured – partly by TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot, partly by sweeping away the operating system’s user audience.
It is also known that for any type of installation of Windows 11, the computer’s compliance with the system requirements will be verified by the installation process. To check the compliance of user computers with the new operating system, Microsoft posted the PC Health Check utility on its presentation page. Run the utility, click “Check now”.
Here, friends, this is Microsoft, then everyone is forcibly pulled on a Windows 10 ship, then it fights back roughly with oars from those wishing to get on board Windows 11.
What about the Windows Insider Program? In a situation with insider testing of the new system, the company behaves like a philistine, showing a particularly refined redneck. Builds of Windows 11 Insider Preview will be received by everyone who switched to the Insider program in Windows 10 before the presentation day, i.e. until June 24, 2021. In fact, these are avid insiders. They will receive test Windows 11 regardless of the system characteristics of their computers. But when Windows 11 comes out officially, if their computer does not meet Microsoft’s requirements, they will no longer receive updates and will have to return to Windows 10.