How to fix 0xc000014C Error in Windows: Does your Windows system display the 0xc000014c error code while using or running any application or playing games or during the boot process, then you don’t need to worry, as you can easily fix this problem?
Here in this blog, learn the complete information related to the 0xc000014c error code, such as the cause of the error and How to fix 0xc000014C in Windows.
The 0xc000014c error clearly specifies that your system’s registry database is damaged or corrupted. In addition, there are other reasons that make the system unable to read the BCD file with the 0xc000014c error code.
Also, when more than one file structure of the registry database is damaged and the operating system encounters a boot sector error, the 0xc000014c error will be displayed.
In simple words, we can say that when important boot information is missing or damaged from its actual position, the 0xc000014c error code is displayed.
Then, when the operating system cannot access the critical files needed for the boot without problems, you can find the 0xc000014c error.
In general, after the unexpected reboot / shutdown of the system, the error appears with the blue screen of death or inside the Windows Boot Manager
The 0xc000014C error code can affect all popular versions of Windows, including Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 as well.
What causes 0xc000014C error code in Windows 10/7/8?
The 0xc000014c error may be generated due to several different causes, below are some of them:
Due to corrupted, missing or damaged boot configuration data (BCD), it can be generated due to power failures or incorrect system shutdown
Damaged or corrupted system files due to a computer virus/malware infection, incomplete uninstallation of the application, removal of some important system or application files.
Recently added hardware.
Bad sectors present on your hard drive may also cause an error.
So, these are some of the common reasons responsible for the 0xc000014c error. Now follow the solutions given one by one carefully.
How to fix 0xc000014C Error in Windows?
Solution 1: Disable connected devices
If you have recently added any hardware components to your system, you should immediately remove them and check whether or not error 0xc000014c is fixed
Despite this, the hardware conflict also generates the 0xc000014c error in Windows 10.
Therefore, it is suggested to disconnect connected peripheral devices, such as pen drives, USB drives, DVD drives, etc.
Now check whether the 0xc000014c error code is fixed or not, or go to the next solution.
Solution 2: Run the SFC utility
The main cause of this problem is that the system files are damaged or missing, which could generate the 0xc000014c error. To overcome this problem, you should run the SFC (System File Checker) command. This will find and repair all defective system files. Follow the steps below carefully:
First, you must open the command prompt with the administrator privilege by pressing the Windows + X key simultaneously and select the (administrator) command prompt.
After opening the Command Prompt window, type “sfc / scannow” and press the Enter key
This command will scan all system files and repair damaged files, so this process will take some time.
After completing this command, run your computer or laptop and verify the error.
How to fix 0xc000014C Error in Windows – Solution 3:
Try booting from the last known configuration
Many times, periodically installing and uninstalling applications causes interference with system settings and, as a result, may result in a 0xc000014c error or other problems.
Therefore, it is suggested here to try booting the system with the last known good configuration.
Here’s how to do it:
- Reboot your computer frequently until it starts up properly. And while you’re at it, press F8, F12, or other appropriate keys depending on your version of Windows to boot into safe mode.
- Now simply choose the Last Known Good Configuration option on the screen.
Then your system will automatically reboot, after it reboots without problems, check if the 0xc000014c error is resolved or not. But it fails, then go to the next solution.
Solution 4: Repair bad sectors on the hard disk
To repair bad sectors, you can either use the boot disk or go directly to the command prompt.
Using the Windows disk installation
- Insert the boot disk into your system and restart your computer, you will see a message “Press any key to start from CD or DVD …” then you must press any key to start from the disk
- Now, select your language, time and a keyboard method, then click Next -> click Repair your computer
Click on the Troubleshooting option and then click on Advanced.
Now, on the Advanced screen, click the Command Prompt
When the command prompt appears, type the command: chkdsk C: / f / x / r
Now, press the Enter key.
Straight from the command prompt
- Open the command box with administrator, to do this you must press the Win and X key at the same time and select the Command Prompt (Administrator).
- Now, you must type “chkdsk /c /f /r /x” > press the ENTER key to execute this command.
- This built-in disk verification utility will run, search and repair the bad sectors present in the system drive.
Solution 5: Rebuild BCD files
A corrupt boot configuration data (BCD) file is the main culprit for the 0xc000014c error. Therefore, we need to repair these problematic Boot Data files, apply the following steps:
- You need an installation media or Windows CD.
- Insert the installation media into your PC and reboot. Now you have to press any key before you see the Windows logo.
- Click Next-> click Repair my computer-> click Troubleshoot and then click Command Prompt.
After you open the command prompt, you should execute the commands given below. Press the Enter key after each of the commands.
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bcdedit /export C:bcdbackup
- attrib c:bcd -h -r -s
- ren c:bcd bcd.old
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
- Finally, reboot your PC normally.
Solution 6: Default Repair and Corruption-Free Logging
Well, if none of the above solutions work for you, you can follow this solution.
But this solution is a bit risky, so be sure to follow it carefully or your hard drive could get damaged.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, remove the unbootable hard drive from your computer
- Now, use a second computer that works properly and connect the hard drive of the old computer to the second computer and follow the steps.
- Start the second computer from your hard drive and the previous hard drive of computer 1 will function as a second storage unit.
- Then, in the system partition of hard drive 2> go to the location and copy complete files to the same location of the previous hard drive
- C: \ Windows System32 config RegBack
- Now turn off the second computer > disconnect the old hard drive.
- And put the old hard disk back into your computer that won’t boot.
- Then start the computer normally and the error code 0xc000014c is estimated to be fixed now.
It is now estimated that the Windows 0xc000014c boot error is resolved.
That’s what the 0xc000014c error code is about, hopefully after applying the above solutions, the boot error will be resolved and you will be able to start your computer easily.
I did my best to gather all possible workarounds and How to fix 0xc000014C Error in Windows 10/8/7.
The given solutions are a bit complicated, so make sure you follow them carefully.
I hope the article works for you.